THEN YOU MIGHT NOT NEED A PAY SERVICE
It is no secret that I am a forum rat. While I only post on a select few, I frequent many. Part of the reason is for the entertainment, but it is also a great way to take the pulse of the fantasy community which helps to plan content.
This is the time of the year every forum has the annual query, “Can someone recommend a decent pay service?” In general, there are three canned responses:
“Everything you need is right here at fill-in-the-name-of-the-forum.com.”
“Why pay for information when you can get anything you need for free?”
And then a few actually give recommendations.
And truth be told, all three are legitimate. You see, this part-hobby, part-obsession we call fantasy baseball can be played on many levels. For some, it is quite easy to compete without investing anything other than time. For others, pay services provide a needed edge.
As a public service, I thought I would take a few minutes to help you decide if a pay service is right for you, so here are the top ten reasons why you might not need a pay service.
10. If you are already winning all 20 of your Yahoo leagues, then you might not need a pay service.
9. If you think a standard league has 10 teams with a lineup comprising 1C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, 3OF a UT and 7 pitchers, then you might not need a pay service.
8. If your favorite announcer is Joe Morgan, then you might not need a pay service.
7. If your preparation consists of hanging out at your local Barnes and Noble reading (but not buying) the magazines for a few hours, then you might not need a pay service.
6. If you believe socalledexpert is one word, then you might not need a pay service..
5. If you go to family reunions to meet chicks, then you…oh wait, wrong list.
4. If you have never had Willie Bloomquist on any of your teams, then you might not need a pay service.
3. If your keeper list is Albert Pujols, Hanley Ramirez, Chase Utley and Tim Lincecum, then you might not need a pay service.
2. If you have ever publicly called out or challenged Matthew Berry to be in your league, then you might not need a pay service.
1. If you think I’m an asshole for writing this because you resemble one of these remarks, then you might not need a pay service. They’re just jokes. Well, they’re supposed to be anyway.